
Forgive the proud Aunt Aubrey... but I'm going to temporarily turn "The Biba Spot" into "The Baby Spot"...
My big brother has a new baby girl!!
Her name is Wiley Mae Weeks--after an early Texas ancestor R.A. Wiley.
I was blessed to be working at home in Wimberley on Friday when Robin went into labor; while I wasn't actually present for the birth, it was certainly an education in natural childbirth.
Robin's contractions started early in the morning; she spent the day trying to get her mind off of the pain-
-she walked around the property, went to the river in the afternoon to soak, and did NOT spend all day in a sterile hospital room, in bed.After the birth, attended by a seasoned midwife and my mother (and Austin of course), I got to meet the little one! The room was spilling with emotion, relief, tears, and well, other fluids... but comfortably real.
Before witnessing this scene firsthand, I was harboring doubts about home birth. What if something goes wrong, etc etc...
But from all I've read (which isn't comprehensive) the art of childbirth is dying out in the world of traditional medicine--doctors increasingly fall back on C-Sections unnecessarily to avoid liability, not only when complications arise, but also as an option for a full term pregnancy, instead of a vaginal birth.
So this scene of great beauty and happiness for my family is also a celebration of a practice that seems "traditional" from my perspective.
Oh, yeah--and no babies from bibas please!! (for at least 7 years).
2 comments:
Aub- I am so glad you shared your Aunt experience. The picasa album was so incredibly cute. I hope that I find someone to midwife me. Although my mom will likely totally freak at the idea of not doing it in a hospital, I would like to try. A Texas river sounds much more appealing than a sterile hospital room.
Of course, one day we will all be "aunties" and "uncles" in the non-genetic, awesomely familial way but, yes, it will be some years, barring all semen suprises.
So cool Aub! Kudos to the Weeks clan. I used peppermint extract and boiling water to clear my sinuses the other day and thought that was pretty de-sterilized, but damn...and such a cute outcome. Congrats, Aunt Aub.
Post a Comment